How to find out Pitra Dosha (Pithru Dosham) through the Horoscope?
1. The presence of the Sun, descending Moon, Mars, Raghu, Sun, Shani and Kethu in the 5th house indicates the Pithru dosham (Pitra Dosha).
2. The 5th and/or 9th house lord getting debilitated or in retrograde position or getting weakened.
3. The 5th and/or 9th house lord is either being associated with malefic planets or staying in a malefic house.
4. The presence of debilitated or retrograde planets in the 5th and/or 9th house.
5. The 5th house and/or 9th house lord is getting weak in the Navamsa chart.
6. The 5th house lord and/or 9th house lord traversing in the Star of a malefic planet or traversing in the 22nd star/88 division from the birth Star.
7. Association of 5th and/or 9th house lord with Raghu/Kethu in any house.
8. If the Raghu or Kethu is placed in a close proximity to the Sun/Moon @ the Pitra Dosha becomes very intense, if the Sun/Moon is within +/- 10 degrees from Rahu or Kethu. The Pitra Dosha becomes more intense, if the Sun/Moon and Rahu/Kethu are placed in the same Nakshatra or in the same Nakshatra Path.
9. If the 5th or 9th house lords getting very low counts in their respective Ashtavargha charts; this situation indicates serious nature of the Pitra Dosha.
10. The Sun and Moon getting closer to each other @ Moon getting placed +/- 10 degrees from the position of Sun.
11. The Sun/Moon either getting debilitated or getting placed in a highly malefic houses or getting weak strength in the Ashtavargha.
12. Those who are born during the Eclipse period of Sun, Moon, 5th house lord or 9th house lord.
The Pitra Dosha differs from person to person or family to family depending upon the intensity of the sins that had been committed in the past. Hence the scale of malefic effects differs from person to person based on the planetary positions (in the Natal Charts) that are defined above.