Methods to be followed in performing "Pitra Dosha Puja" in Rameswaram:
1. Go to Rameswaram and stay overnight. Get up early in the morning and take bath in the “Agni Theertham” meaning “Holy water from the Fire God” (Sea overlooking the East Temple Tower).
2. Then you must take bath in all the “Punya Theerthams” (Holy water) that are placed inside the Temple. You can take the help from the official guides that are licensed by the Temple Authorities. (*They wear white color shirts and dhotis). They charge Rs. 25 per head, if you take bath in a group of 15 to 25 peoples. They charge you around Rs. 200/- to Rs. 400/- (depending on the rush), if you choose to go as single (or) with few of your family members. The Guides will pick up water from well, which is inside the Temple; and they pour (or) sprinkle it on your head & body.
3. The Old and Aged peoples may find it difficult to take bath in the “Punya Theertham”. Hence their family members can pick up the water from all the “Punya Theertham” with a water bottle, while they are bathing. You can mix the Holy water into the normal water in the Hotel bath room and ask the elder family members to take bath in the Hotel itself. The path within the Temple leading to the Holy Water remains highly slippery and crowded.
4. After taking bath in the Holy water, you must dry up yourself and change it into the Dry clothes. You must not perform “Pitra Puja” and enter temple wearing wet clothes (or) carrying the wet clothes. *The Person who is performing the Pitra Puja must not eat till the completion of the rituals.
5. You can perform “Pitra Puja” in the areas overlooking the sea at “Agni Theertham”. There are number of Purohits available in that place.
6. You can also do the “Pitra Puja” in number of monasteries that are abound in Rameswaram. I wish to give the Readers the Name and Address of one of the Monastery.
Kodi Linga Madam,
2, Sambai Road, Seetharam Nagar,
Contact Person: Balraman Sastry
Mobile No: 9597836729
*The Place is located within 150 meters just opposite to West Side Tower (Gopuram) of the Temple. *Please note that the Author do not maintain any commercial interests with anyone.
7. The charges for “Yel Tharpanam” and “Pinda Tharpanam” would be within Rs. 500/-
8. The charges for “Shraddham” would cost you around Rs. 2,500/-. If you want to donate Rice, Pulses and Vegetable during the Shraddham will cost Rs.500/- (extra) @ it will cost you Rs. 3000/-
9. If you want to do “Thila Tharpana Puja” along with “Thila Homam” would cost you Rs. 10.000/- *Please understand that even the “Thila Tharpana Puja” would cost more, if you want to do it in an extensive manner. Hence everything is dependent on your “Budget”.
10. Many believe that there is no need to do “Pitra Puja” thereafter, once you have performed the “Thila Tharpana Puja” in Rameswaram. Even the Purohits are also recommending it in the similar manner. But it is grossly untrue and dangerous too. The “Thila Tharpana Puja” is being recommended for the family, who has not done the Pitra Tharpanam (or) Shraddham in the past for the departed souls @ it is like seeking their Pardon and blessings thereafter.
11. Many believe that by spending few thousands of rupees for “Thila Tharpana Puja” once during their lifetime in Rameswaram will mitigate all their troubles. It is false and the Vedas do not recommende this kind of act.
12. Many Purohits falsely spread these kind of beliefs just to improve their financial prospects.
13. After doing the “Thila Tharpana Puja” in Rameswaram, you need to continue these rituals (Tharpanam and Shraddham) in a regular manner during the entire period of your lifetime. *You can do it in your hometown (or) any holy places including Rameswaram.
14. Please note that “Pitra Puja” would be successful, if it is done with utmost love and dedication towards the departed ancestors. Hence the success of the “Pitra Puja” is not measured in terms of the money being spent in the Puja.
15. The “Pitra Puja” would be highly successful, if the entire family members visit Rameswaram and join the Puja. The Puja would be even more successful, if the sons and daughters of the departed person do the Puja in a united manner.
16. You must release the “Pinda” in the Agni Theertham. Thus, you have successfully completed the “Pitra Puja” in Rameswaram.
17. After finishing this Puja, you must visit the temple and worship Lord Ramanatha Swamy and Lord Kasi Viswanathar. You can do the Puja in the name of your entire family members.
18. You must light up lamp with cow ghee oil inside the Temple.
19. You can donate food to the needy. Then every member of the family can have their food.
20. The Lodges in the Rameswaram maintain 12.00 Noon as their check-in and check-out time. Hence, if you make a check-in the Hotel in the early morning and make a check-out in the evening hours, then you will be charged for 2 days for your stay in the Hotel for a single day. Most of the Hotels follow these procedures to fleece the money out of the visitor’s pockets. Hence plan you travel wisely.